Last modified: April 22, 2018
There are many different ways you can use our services – to search for and share information, to communicate with other people or to create new content. When you share information with us, for example by creating a NextAffect Account, we can make those services even better – to show you more relevant search results and ads, to help you connect with people or to make sharing with others quicker and easier. As you use our services, we want you to be clear how we’re using information and the ways in which you can protect your privacy.
- What information we collect and why we collect it.
- How we use that information.
- The choices we offer, including how to access and update information.
We’ve tried to keep it as simple as possible, but if you’re not familiar with terms like cookies, IP addresses, pixel tags and browsers, then read about these key terms first. Your privacy matters to NextAffect so whether you are new to NextAffect or a long-time user, please do take the time to get to know our practices – and if you have any questions contact us.
Information we collect
We collect information to provide better services to all of our users – from figuring out basic stuff like which language you speak, to more complex things like which ads you’ll find most useful, the people who matter most to you online, or which videos you might like.
We collect information in the following ways:
- Information you give us. For example, many of our services require you to sign up for a NextAffect Account. When you do, we’ll ask for personal information, like your name, email address,or telephone number to store with your account. If you want to take full advantage of the sharing features we offer, we might also ask you to create a publicly visible NextAffect Profile, which may include your name and photo.
Information we get from your use of our services. We collect information about the services that you use and how you use them, like when you watch a video on NextAffect, visit a or view and interact with our ads and content. This information includes:
- Device information : We collect device-specific information (such as your hardware model, operating system version, unique device identifiers, and mobile network information including phone number). NextAffect may associate your device identifiers or phone number with your NextAffect Account.
Log information : When you use our services or view content provided by NextAffect, we automatically collect and store certain information in server logs. This includes:
details of how you used our service, such as your search queries.
telephony log information like your phone number.
Internet protocol address.
device event information such as crashes, system activity, hardware settings, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request and referral URL.
cookies that may uniquely identify your browser or your NextAffect Account.
- Location information : When you use NextAffect services, we may collect and process information about your actual location. We use various technologies to determine location, including IP address, GPS, and other sensors that may, for example, provide NextAffect with information on nearby devices, Wi-Fi access points and cell towers.
- Unique application numbers : Certain services include a unique application number. This number and information about your installation (for example, the operating system type and application version number) may be sent to NextAffect when you install or uninstall that service or when that service periodically contacts our servers, such as for automatic updates.
- Local storage : We may collect and store information (including personal information) locally on your device using mechanisms such as browser web storage (including HTML 5) and application data caches.
- Cookies and similar technologies : We and our partners use various technologies to collect and store information when you visit a NextAffect service, and this may include using cookies or similar technologies to identify your browser or device. We also use these technologies to collect and store information when you interact with services we offer to our partners, such as advertising services or NextAffect features that may appear on other sites.
Information we collect when you are signed in to NextAffect, in addition to information we obtain about you from partners, may be associated with your NextAffect Account. When information is associated with your NextAffect Account, we treat it as personal information.
How we use information we collect
We use the information we collect from all of our services to provide, maintain, protect and improve them, to develop new ones, and to protect NextAffect and our users. We also use this information to offer you tailored content – like giving you more relevant search results and ads.
We may use the name you provide for your NextAffect Profile across all of the services we offer that require a NextAffect Account. In addition, we may replace past names associated with your NextAffect Account so that you are represented consistently across all our services. If other users already have your email, or other information that identifies you, we may show them your publicly visible NextAffect Profile information, such as your name and photo.
If you have a NextAffect Account, we may display your Profile name, Profile photo, and actions you take on NextAffect or on third-party applications connected to your NextAffect Account (such as +1’s, reviews you write and comments you post) in our services, including displaying in ads and other commercial contexts. We will respect the choices you make to limit sharing or visibility settings in your NextAffect Account.
When you contact NextAffect, we keep a record of your communication to help solve any issues you might be facing. We may use your email address to inform you about our services, such as letting you know about upcoming changes or improvements.
We use information collected from cookies and other technologies, like pixel tags, to improve your user experience and the overall quality of our services. One of the products we use to do this on our own services is NextAffect Analytics. For example, by saving your language preferences, we’ll be able to have our services appear in the language you prefer. When showing you tailored ads, we will not associate an identifier from cookies or similar technologies with sensitive categories, such as those based on race, religion, sexual orientation or health.
Our automated systems analyze your content (including emails) to provide you personally relevant product features, such as customized search results, tailored advertising, and spam and malware detection.
We may combine personal information from one service with information, including personal information, from other NextAffect services – for example to make it easier to share things with people you know. Depending on your account settings, your activity on other sites and apps may be associated with your personal information in order to improve NextAffect’s services and the ads delivered by NextAffect.
NextAffect processes personal information on our servers in many countries around the world. We may process your personal information on a server located outside the country where you live.
Transparency and choice
People have different privacy concerns. Our goal is to be clear about what information we collect, so that you can make meaningful choices about how it is used. For example, you can:
- Adjust how the Profile associated with your NextAffect Account appears to others.
- Control who you share information with through your NextAffect Account.
You may also set your browser to block all cookies, including cookies associated with our services, or to indicate when a cookie is being set by us. However, it’s important to remember that many of our services may not function properly if your cookies are disabled. For example, we may not remember your language preferences.
Information you share
Many of our services let you share information with others. Remember that when you share information publicly, it may be indexable by search engines, including NextAffect. Our services provide you with different options on sharing and removing your content.
Accessing and updating your personal information
Whenever you use our services, we aim to provide you with access to your personal information. If that information is wrong, we strive to give you ways to update it quickly or to delete it – unless we have to keep that information for legitimate business or legal purposes.
We aim to maintain our services in a manner that protects information from accidental or malicious destruction. Because of this, after you delete information from our services, we may not immediately delete residual copies from our active servers and may not remove information from our backup systems.
Information we share
We do not share personal information with companies, organizations and individuals outside of NextAffect unless one of the following circumstances applies:
- With your consent : We will share personal information with companies, organizations or individuals outside of NextAffect when we have your consent to do so. We require opt-in consent for the sharing of any sensitive personal information.
For legal reasons : We will share personal information with companies, organizations or individuals outside of NextAffect if we have a good-faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of the information is reasonably necessary to:
- meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request.
- enforce applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations.
- detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues.
- protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of NextAffect, our users or the public as required or permitted by law.
We may share non-personally identifiable information publicly and with our partners – like publishers, advertisers or connected sites. For example, we may share information publicly to show trends about the general use of our services.
We work hard to protect NextAffect and our users from unauthorized access to or unauthorized alteration, disclosure or destruction of information we hold. In particular:
- We encrypt many of our services using SSL.
- We review our information collection, storage and processing practices, including physical security measures, to guard against unauthorized access to systems.
- We restrict access to personal information to NextAffect employees, contractors and agents who need to know that information in order to process it for us, and who are subject to strict contractual confidentiality obligations and may be disciplined or terminated if they fail to meet these obligations.